Posted on 29th April 2017
Call for Papers: Special Issue on Designing Technology With and For People on the Autism Spectrum
Dr Marc Fabri (Leeds Beckett University) and Debra Satterfield (California State University Long Beach) are co-editing a special issue for the International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, to be published in Spring 2018. Building on a series of conference sessions organised by Marc and Debra (see https://designingforautism.wordpress.com), the special issue explores the involvement of autistic people in the design of technology.
To advance research in this area, the editors invite original research contributions which focus on the design of interactive systems, products, environments and experiences for users on the autism spectrum. Contributions that focus on supporting the strengths of autistic people are particularly welcome.
The call for this special issue reflects the interdisciplinary nature of the International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction. It includes all aspects and stages of technology design, with a particular focus on how end user have been involved in the design process. Contributions are invited, but not limited to:
- human-centred design approaches, e.g. participatory design or design thinking
- supporting important life transitions, e.g. between schools, or from education into employment
- systems that build on autistic strengths and capabilities (rather than overcoming weaknesses)
- involving parents, carers or teachers in the design process
- technology support with everyday activities
- mainstream apps or services effectively appropriated for autism support
- eliciting user needs, preferences and creativity
- product, interior and architecture design solutions that help prevent injury or getting lost
- enabling effective self-advocacy
- designing for sensory needs
- facilitating social communication, e.g. between peers or within a family
- significant empirical work that informs the design of new technology
- training and educating the next generation of designers
The deadline for submissions is 3 September 2017.
For the full call for papers and submission instructions, please visit the journal website at http://explore.tandfonline.com/cfp/est/designing-with-and-for-users-on-the-autism-spectrum.